SOESD / School Improvement Services / Child Care Resource Network / About Child Care Licensing & Regulations / Exempt Providers
Child Care That Does Not Require Regulation in Oregon
Some child care in Oregon does not require any registration or certification from the Office of Child Care. Child care is exempt from regulation if:
**Providers are exempt from regulation under only one of the above categories.
- The provider cares for three or fewer children, not including the provider's own children.
- The provider cares for any number of children from the same family, not including the provider's own children.
- The care is provided in the home of the child.
- The care is provided by the child's parent or guardian, or a person acting in place of a parent; or a person related to the child care children by blood, marriage, or adoption.
- The care is provided on an occasional basis by a person not ordinarily engaged in providing child care.
- The facility is primarily educational and provides care to children 36 months old or older, but not yet attending kindergarten, for less than four hours per day.
- Is primarily supervised, and provides child-focused training in a specific subject, including, but not limited to, dancing, drama, music, or religion. This exclusion applies only to the time the children are involved in training.
- Is primarily an incident of group athletic or social activities sponsored by or under the supervision of an organized club or hobby group. This exclusion applies only to the time engaged in the group athletic or social activities and if the children can come and go as they please.
- Is operated by a school district, political subdivision of the state, or a governmental agency.
- Provides care while the child's parent remains on the premises and is engaged in non work activity offered by the facility, e.g. health clubs.
More information about regulation of child care can be obtained from ORS657A.250, 657A.460, or you may call the Office of Child Care at 1 800-556-6616, or check the Employment Department website at: www.workinginoregon.org